- SPServices Stories #1 – How to Start a Workflow on Multiple Items in a List
- SPServices Stories #2 – Charting List Data with HighCharts
- SPServices Stories #3 – AddWebPart Method of the WebPartPages Web Service
- SPServices Stories #4 – Using SPServices to Process Files from a Non-Microsoft Source
- SPServices Stories #5 – Gritter and Sharepoint: Integrate Nifty Notifications in Your Intranet!
- SPServices Stories #6 – Custom Quizzing System
- SPServices Stories #8 – CEWP, Nintex, jQuery, SPServices and the Client API
- SPServices Stories #9: Developing with Client-side Technologies: jQuery, REST, SPServices and jsRender
- SPServices Stories #10 – jqGrid Implementation Using SPServices in SharePoint
- SPServices Stories #11 – Using SPServices and jQuery to Perform a Redirect from a SharePoint List NewForm to EditForm
- SPServices Stories #12 – SharePoint and jQuery SPServices in Education: A Case Study
- SPServices Stories #13: Durandal SP3: Developing SharePoint SPAs Made Easy
- SPServices Stories #14: Create a Slide Show in SharePoint 2010 using an Announcements List and SPServices
- SPServices Stories #15: Custom Client-side Calendar Query for Office 365 SharePoint Site Using SPServices jQuery Library
- SPServices Stories #19 – Folders in SharePoint are as necessary as evil. Make the best of it using jQuery and SPServices.
- SPServices Stories #20 – Modify User Profile Properties on SharePoint Online 2013 using SPServices
- SPServices Stories #22 : SPServices SharePoint Attachments in Internet Explorer 9
- SPServices Stories #21 – Redirect If User Clicked a Button Previously
This is another story I ran across on Twitter and wanted to add to the SPServices Stories series. I wrote about my own experience getting attachment uploading to work in my post Uploading Attachments to SharePoint Lists Using SPServices. My cheat in that case was to change the DOCTYPE to HTML5 in a SharePoint 2010 master page. It was a cheat in the sense that it broke a lot of basic SharePoint functioning. Luckily I could get away with it in that particular case.
In this story, Jason Williams (@JayWll) explains how he got uploading to work with the fileReader polyfill. As much as all of us would like to be working with the latest and greatest technologies, in reality most organizations – especially larger ones – don’t update their tech very often. In Jason’s case he needed the upload capability to work with IE9, which doesn’t have a lot of the HTML5 spec implemented in it.
I’ve combined two of Jason’s posts here, SPServices addAttachment jquery example and SPServices SharePoint Attachments in Internet Explorer 9. Jason built on a post from Brendon Wilbore (@bjwildbore) to get things up and running. This is one of the great things about the SharePoint community: there are many people out there who are generous enough to post their work so that we can build upon it.
SPServices SharePoint Attachments in Internet Explorer 9
If you’re having a few issues adding attachments via ajax and SPServices on SharePoint have a look over the code snippets below.
I’ve been asked a few times to add the ability to upload attachments to SharePoint tools that I’ve created, and I’ve never been able to achieve it until I eventually came across this blog post last week.
If (like me) you’re developing in a front-end only way without any server-side programming then it seems like this is the way to upload files and attach them to SharePoint list items.
With much work and even more googling I was able to get this technique to work in Internet Explorer 9. In the future I’ll write more about how I managed it, and how you can too!
What You Need
For the purposes of my demo I created a simple SharePoint list called “File Attachment Test.” The list has a single field – title – and attachments to the list are enabled. Your list is probably named differently, so you’ll need to change the references in the code to reflect your list name.
The fileReader polyfill takes the file input box and puts the flash file on top of it, so that the file selection and upload is handled by flash instead of natively in the browser. I found that this fell apart if the file input box didn’t remain in the same place on the page. In other words, I had problems if I tried to use jQuery’s .show() and .hide() functions (or similar).
I solved this by putting the file selection form in a pop-up window. If the page you place your form on is static (i.e. nothing changes after the DOM is loaded) then you shouldn’t have this problem.