2 minute read
Today I got an alert that the SharePoint UserVoice suggestion from Corey Roth (@coreyroth) entitled Add managed metadata term store operations to REST API got the coveted “Thinking About It” tag from the Product Group. I like to tweet out changes like this to let people know the Product Group is listening and acting on our feedback – beyond saying “That’s good feedback!” It’s not all wine and roses, though:
Thank you for your feedback! Just letting you know that we absolutely have this in our backlog, but unfortunately this currently is not included in our short term engineering tasks. We absolutely understand the request and seeing vote counts around this, will help to further prioritize this work for next sprints.
I got a couple of tweets back right away pointing out some other current holes in the REST APIs.
@sympmarc Ooh, and off the top of my head, recurring events. And document sets can still only be created off of listdata.svc, I think.
— Chris Parker (@ChrispyBites) May 17, 2017
@sympmarc Finally !! Couple of things missing – getting Publishing fields like PublishingPageContent,PublishingPageImage etc via REST API, 1/n
— Gautam Sheth (@gautamdsheth) May 17, 2017
If you think there are other endpoints the REST APIs need or endpoints that don’t work well, please add them to the comments here. I’ll work them up into a list for the Product Group and let’s see what we can get moving! We’ll play by the rules and add the list to UserVoice, but I think all the individual suggestions get lost and it’s harder to see the bigger picture. For each item on the list, I’ve tried to capture related UserVoice suggestions.
The list so far:
- Managed Metadata (aka Term Sets or Taxonomy – please stop making up multiple names for things Microsoft!!!)
- Document Set creation still requires listdata.svc (@ChrispyBites)
- Recurring Events – I have a long post in the works explaining how I handle this with a combination of REST and SOAP (with SPServices), and it isn’t pretty
- Recurring events via the Search endpoint (Derek Gusoff)
- Publishing – PublishingPageContent, PublishingPageImage (@gautamdsheth)
- Starting a site workflow – StartWorkflowOnListItemBySubscriptionId & StartWorkflow are only for list items (@BradOrluk)
- Editing/adding Property Bag values (@alexaterentiev)
- Version history (@merill) – Provide the Version History feature on list items with CSOM and/or REST, i.e. provide which metadata has changed with the previous value. Currently, the only way to retrieve versions is through the FileVersionCollection/FileVersion objects which provides only the VersionLabel, CreatedBy, CreationDate and Version Url. Ideally, we would need a ListItem object holding all the attributes and values for each version. (John Gunning)
- “Better support for folders”? (@robwindsor)
- Edit and manage web parts (anonymous)
- Easily get a graph access token (anonymous)
- SharePoint groups – Changing group owners has a bug such that you can’t change them using REST (Mike)
- The ability to filter by a multiline column (@Rodrigo_Romano)
- Ability to use $filter on Calculated column and Single value Taxonomy column label (@gautamdsheth)
- Allow custom user profile property to be filtered using the $filter parameter (@gautamdsheth)