- Sympraxis’ SharePoint Client Side Development Pipeline – Introduction
- Sympraxis’ SharePoint Client Side Development Pipeline – Where Should We Put Our Stuff?
4 minute read
As promised in our August Sympraxis Newsletter, Julie and I wanted to start a new blog series to explain our new SharePoint client side development pipeline. We’ll each put our own spin on the idea, as our ways of thinking, backgrounds, and blog focuses are a bit different (but totally compatible!), so be sure to check Julie’s take as well.
We worked a lot in July and early August to improve our development practices in general. Julie joined Sympraxis with some great ideas, and she’s managed to teach this old dog quite a few new tricks. We’ve got all of our current client projects up on private Github repositories and we’ve got a really nice workflow going now that both improves our efficiency and gives us far better disaster recovery capabilities.
This isn’t the pipeline we’ll use when the new SharePoint Framework (SPFx) is released in Preview (hopefully soon!), but it borrows from some of the tech used in that process. If you’re still doing client side development that you plant in SharePoint pages with the Content Editor Web Part (CEWP) or the Script Editor Web Part (SEWP), then this pipeline process will prepare you for some of the things you’ll need to understand when you get to SPFx.
We edit our client side code on our devices (laptops, tablets, even phones!) in local copies of the repos, use gulp tasks with spsave to push changes to the Office 365 or on premises tenant, and then commit blocks of changes to the Github repos.
We’re even using different IDEs to work on our code. Right now my favorite is WebStorm, whereas Julie prefers Visual Studio Code. Because the tooling we used all sits on top of nodejs – which is truly cross platform, cross IDE, cross everything – it doesn’t really matter that we’re using different IDEs.
For years now, my “pipeline” has been to map a drive to my code repository in the client tenant or installation, edit the files in place, and all was good. I’ve gotten in the habit of storing my code artifacts in one of two places:
- ScriptsCSS – This was my practice for quite a few years, and is simply a Document library – usually in the root of the Site Collection – where I put things. Because it’s a Document Library, I can turn on versioning if I choose, restrict access for write (though everyone needs read permissions to access the code), etc. It’s also in “plain sight” for the people I work with at the client. This is usually a *good* thing, but more recently I switched to using…
- /_catalogs/masterpage/_ClientName – This is a bit more out of the way, as it means putting my code in the Master Page Gallery. If permissions are set correctly, this means that few people can accidentally wander into it, and everyone has read access by default.
Either of these locations work and have worked for me regardless the version of SharePoint, whether it be 2007, 2010, 2013, 2016, or any flavor of SharePoint Online. My original goal with all of this was to avoid deploying ANYTHING to the server. It just so happened that this goal ended up meshing with where Microsoft has come over the years.
My reversion technique was simply Ctrl-Z (undo) in my editor of choice. If I had versioning on in the Document Library, then the version history was available for me, too. As for IDEs, sometimes I use SharePoint Designer, sometimes Sublime Text, sometimes WebStorm.
One of my other approaches to “working in production” (a collective gasp goes up from most people) was to create copies of the “prod” files I was working with – maybe something like HomePageNEW.ASPX, HomePageNEW.html, HomePageNEW.js, etc. This gives me a way to work on the next version of everything while still using the same content base. In cases where there are content updates, I may even have a whole shadow set of lists and libraries for testing. Having them in the same location makes it easy to copy content back and forth – usually using Sharegate, of course! I still do this, but now with better source control I have a better record of whence I’ve come.
None of these practices are really source control. Sure, I would ZIP everything up once in a while and store it away, but I couldn’t get back to a specific point in time. My approaches *worked* but weren’t as robust as I would have liked.
In the rest of the series, Julie and I will explain how we arrived at our new approaches in our posts, how they work – in detail, with code! – and what we get out of it. If you have specific questions, please feel free to add them in the comments and we’ll attempt to cover them. And don’t forget to read Julie’s spin on it, too!