Earlier this week, I was rebuilding a C# Web Service that I’ve been working on, and the changes that I was making weren’t "taking". That is, when I ran the new code, it was behaving like the old code. In addition, when I hovered over the breakpoints that I had set, I was getting the message "The breakpoint will not currently be hit. No symbols have been loaded for this document."
I described a fix that I had found in a previous post. With Vista, you should run Visual Studio as Administrator. (Right click the link to Visual Studio and choose Run as Administrator.) That fix was no longer working.
I searched the Web and found that many, many people have had the same issue and the number of different fixes offered was staggering, but none of them worked for me. I became convinced that it had something to do with my recent upgrade to Vista, but I couldn’t prove it. It turns out that it probably wasn’t connected.
After thinking about it some more, I figured out how to get Visual Studio running again: I deleted the [my project name] folder in "C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET Files", forcing a true rebuild. (Your version number may vary, just look for a folder with your project name.) I was back in business. Hope this helps.